Certified Roadside Farm Market Program – Membership Criteria
1. The Certified Roadside Farm Market Program is designed to promote North Carolina roadside farm markets that primarily sell produce (horticultural crops) grown by the operator and other local farmers. The goal of this program is to increase sales to consumers of products grown and sold by North Carolina farmers. The program also seeks to assist roadside farm markets with improving their marketing skills, to improve the quality of products sold, and to promote fair and honest marketing practices.
2. To qualify for participation in this program, a roadside farm market must sell primarily agricultural commodities direct to the public, with a minimum of 51% of total sales from farm products grown by the market operator. Applicants must submit a NCDA&CS Grower’s Certification, signed by their county extension agent, along with their application.
3. The operator of any roadside farm market as herein defined, may apply to the North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Division of Marketing, for participation in this program. A separate application must be filed for each location.
4. Membership in the North Carolina Certified Roadside Farm Market program will be granted upon NCDA&CS committee approval of application. Membership will be under continual review by the NCDA&CS, Division of Marketing.
5. The business whose name appears on the Certified Roadside Farm Market application shall give written assurance of the business's compliance with all applicable Federal, State and local laws, rules and ordinances, including all applicable license and permit requirements.
6. Certified Roadside Farm Markets will receive a sign to display at their market that identifies them as a North Carolina Dept. of Agriculture & Consumer Services, Certified Roadside Farm Market. The sign shall at all times remain the property of the N.C. Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services. Certified markets will also receive a marketing kit with posters and price cards to use in their displays, a checklist of suggestions for successful roadside markets (information on displays, market appearance, product quality, parking, etc.), camera ready logo to use in ads, sample newspaper or radio ads, and sample press releases.
7. The applicant shall have a permanent sign posted in a prominent and visible location at the roadside market that states the name of the business. Certified Roadside Farm Market Program – Membership Criteria
8. If ownership of an approved roadside farm market changes, the new owner must reapply for membership. In no event shall market approval or signs be transferable from one location to another.
9. All approved farm markets must maintain adequate parking space for all vehicles to park clear of the highway and highway right-of-way.
10. Produce or other agricultural products packaged with the topping or facing of containers exposing produce with inferior produce or products concealed underneath shall constitute "False Packs" and as such shall not be offered for sale at any Certified Roadside Farm Market.
11. With respect to size, quality, weights, volumes, packaging, and labeling, all products sold at a Certified Roadside Farm Markets must comply with all laws and rules and regulations applicable to that product.
12. Failure to comply with the membership criteria of the Certified Roadside Market Program shall constitute grounds for disapproval of any application for participation or for revocation of any approval previously granted.
- Certified Roadside Farm Market Program – Membership Application (PDF)
- Certified Roadside Farm Market Program – Grower Certification (PDF)